Welcome to another letsgetbuff.com workout routine.
I had a couple of requests on our Facebook page (click here to subscribe) for a toning and core workout routine. Those seem to go hand in hand, so I created the ultimate two week plan to lose some body fat and hit those abs hard!
Hopefully this is challenging enough, but if it is not, leave me a comment below and we can figure out how to crank up the intensity.
This is a two week program, but you can go as long as you need to (4 weeks max). I only ask that you push yourself.
1. Eat six small meals a day:
If you are a female, limit your calories to approx 1700- 1900. Men will need 1900 to 2100 calories. (Of course, this depends on a lot of factors including age and body type, but I am assuming that most of you will be young, of average size and body type. Consult your physician before starting any diet and exercise program.)
2. No simple carbs:
That’s right sugar, and white bread are off limits. Reduce your intake of fruit as well, since it is usually high in sugar. (I know fructose is not terrible for you, but you said you wanted to get toned up.)
3. Moderate complex carbs:
Try to limit your complex carbs to one serving for breakfast and one serving for lunch.
Examples for complex carbs include: Brown rice, Gluten Free Whole Grain bread, and Whole grain wraps.
4. Adequate protein:
Eat a serving protein for every meal.
Acceptable proteins include: Whey protein powder, chicken, turkey, lean ground beef, and Quest protein bars ( Trust me you will need some Quest bars! They taste amazing, have great macros, and are an excellent source of fiber.)
5. Eat your veggies: Try to include a serving of veggies with breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
The workout schedule:
3 days of total body workouts (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
2 days of core workout (Tuesday, Thursday)
2 days of rest and recovery. (Saturday, Sunday)
The total body workout: (Done every other day, three days each week)
1. Warm up: 10 Minutes on the elliptical, or light jogging on the treadmill.
Do the following as a circuit for 4 sets, with 15 seconds of rest between exercises, and 60 seconds of rest between each circuit.
2. Shoulder press (12-15 reps)
3. Olympic row (12-15 reps each arm)
4. Bench step up (12-15 reps each leg)
5. Dumbbell chest press (12-15 reps)
6. Hammer curls (12-15 reps)
7. Triceps easy bar extension (12-15 reps)
8. Body weight squat (12 -15 reps)
9. Follow up with a circuit of interval training on the elliptical machine or treadmill. For this interval you will be running for 3 minutes, stopping the treadmill, and doing as many pushups as you can next to the treadmill. Do this for 10-15 minutes.
Caution: Make sure the treadmill comes to a complete stop before you get off. Please don’t injure yourself, because I would feel terrible.
The core workout: (Done every other day, twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday)
1. Use your favorite method of cardio to warm up for 10 minutes.
Do 3 sets each of the following exercises, rest 3-5 minutes between each exercise.
2. Rope abs (3 sets, 12-15 reps)
3. Russian twists (3 sets, as many rotations as you can do with a 10 lb weight or medicine ball)
4. Incline leg raise (3 sets- 12-15 reps)
5. Back extension (3 sets- 12-15 reps)
6. Decline sit up (3 sets – 12-15 reps)
7. 20-30 Minutes of moderate intensity cardio exercise. (Running, elliptical, stair stepper, or bike.)
Do this workout for the next 2-4 weeks. Please report back after you have done it and let us know about your success in the comments.
I am always taking requests, so if you need a custom workout, please let me know what it is below (in the comments) and I will write one up for you and publish it on letsgetbuff.com!
Leave me a comment below if you want your own custom workout program!